In an attempt to modernize It’s advertising product, Google is retiring the text-only AdSense ad unit.
Google AdSense can automatically rename existing “Text ads only” and “Display ads only” to simply “Display ads.”
In addition to retiring text-only ads, Google declared many changes to AdSense ads that are rolling out in the approaching weeks.
Here’s a summary of everything that was announced by Google:
- All ad units are going to be created Responsive by default, though publishers can still produce custom-sized ad units if required.
- Publishers won’t be able to produce ad designs for brand new ad units. All new ad units can have Google-optimized text ad styling.
- Google is removing the “If no ads available” choice and will instead collapse the ad space or show a blank space.
- Google is removing obsolete ad unit setting experiments. Any active ad unit experiments can stop within the returning weeks.
- The experiments report within the Reports tab will be removed.
- Changing ad code type to synchronous in from the AdSense account settings won’t be available anymore.
Google notes that it’s been investing heavily in understanding the most effective ways to extend user interest in ads.
Presumably, these changes are designed to make ads more appealing to users, which may then results in more clicks and earnings for AdSense publishers.